The best part of living in Walnut Creek are the trails. We live near the Iron Horse Trail which then connects to other trails. I just walk directly out the front door and a short block away is a beautiful paved trail.
I can easily walk to BART and go to San Francisco. I can walk to downtown. Or take the route to Heather Farm and my favorite bench facing Mt. Diablo. Or go towards Pleasant Hill on the canal trail and see the ducks. The destination possibilities are endless.
There are always a variety of people on the trail. The joggers with their earphones looking straight ahead very intently. The mother with stroller and dog taking up most of the walkway. Grandpas and Grandmas walking hand in hand. Bicycle riders who vary from being polite "Passing on your left" to being impolite "(nothing)" and almost running over you. The dog walkers or maybe it is the dog walking the person. The dogs that seem to be friendlier than people. And don't forget the ones walking briskly to BART for work.
One thing that I have really noticed is how many people rarely make eye contact or smile at you. Do you think that it would hurt you to acknowledge that we just passed each other? What? Do you really think I'm out to get you? What's wrong with smiling?
So this week as I have taking my early morning walk, I have tried to smile, nod and say "Good Morning" to the many fellow trail blazers. I've received back a few nods and smiles. Today I even had one lady say "Good Morning" before I did.
Do we really avoid making eye contact because we just don't want to acknowledge your presence? If so, I am really sad. But I will keep on smiling...because someone you will smile back.
No comments:
Post a Comment