Friday, August 17, 2012

Happy Birthday Julia!

Happy Birthday, Julia Child!

This week Julia would have turned 100 years old.  Here we are celebrating the life of a woman who influenced our cooking and the way we celebrate.  I don't think that Julia knew what her impact would be when she was young.  She lived and explored life.  The fruits of her living have enriched my life.  I want to be more like Julia...especially in the cooking department of my life.

I studied French in school and we were encouraged to do extra projects to learn more about France.  I had a pen pal who lived in Quebec and I wrote in French and she wrote in English.  I used a dictionary quite a lot.  Writing was boring.  So I expanded my world to explore cooking.

I remember attempting to cook beef stew French style in junior high.  My mother looked over the recipe I had found and said "No, it has wine in it."  I approached my father and convinced him that purchasing a cheap bottle of red wine was not going to send me to hell.  The French stew recipe ended up being a favorite in the winter season.  I was not using the Julia Child boeuf bourguignon recipe.

I'm not really sure when I was officially introduced to Julia Child.  Now it really doesn't matter.  I remember watching her cooking shows on PBS.  I have her famous cookbook "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".  I am not  Julie cooking my way through the cookbook in a year.  At least, not yet.  My sons do know how to read and follow a recipe, and they have cooked several recipes including that famous boeuf bourguignon.

I have enjoyed reading books about Julia's life, one written by her.  Her life is fascinating, adventurous, and included some challenges.  Perhaps her positive outlook on life is what sustained her.  Thank you, Julia!  Bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment