Currently we are reading "How to Win Friends and Influence Others" by Dale Carneige. It is an old book - first published in 1936. This is my first time reading the book. Are you surprised?
Each week we discuss a chapter. The best part is that these chapters are small and are focused on only one technique or principle. When you focus on only one small bite, it is easier transfer to application. Also, I am more focused in observing the application in my life as well as others around me.
So far, I have made these observations:
- Listen, Listen, Listen - People love to talk about themselves. When you are having a conversation, be sure that you do most of the listening. Find out what they are interested in and engage in the conversation.
- Appreciation - It is best to leave sparkles of praise and appreciation along your path. When I say "thank you" to the grocery clerk, her face lights up with a smile.
- Smile - A smile changes the mood in a room. And remember when you talk on the phone, your smile can be felt across the phone line.
- Remember their name - All of us like to be called by our name. I have several ways to help with remember names. I use the name in the conversation several times. I often ask how to spell their name. Is that Kathy with a K or a C? I also make a note about where I met the person, what we talked about, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment