My husband is just wonderful. He loves to go exploring or rather go on "Safari". Mind you we don't actually travel to Africa for a real safari. However our safaris provide a brief time away for excitement and refreshment.
This summer we decided to not take an extended vacation. Both of us have some work and life projects that need attention. So instead we have had day trips taking advantage of free days at museums or reduced admissions. Here are some of our adventures.
Alameda County Fair - $2 day in early July. I loved seeing all of the animals in the 4-H barns. It took me back to my childhood days at the Santa Barbara County Fair in Santa Maria. The smell from the barn is just so.....well...you know. We took our time walking through the exhibits. I still can't get over the various "junk" that is sold at the fair. Stuff you never see anywhere else but at the fair. Interesting but I didn't have a use for 99.9% of what I saw. Food at the fair is always an adventure - ice cream, fried pineapple, corn dog, corn on the cob. We ended the evening with a concert - a blast from the past - hard rock. I had more fun watching the audience than listening to the music.
Oakland Museum - Free day first Sunday of the month. We took BART to the Lake Merritt station and walked the three blocks. The art exhibit was varied and grouped by themes. I enjoyed the black and white photography of migrant workers in California in the 1930s. The history section was presented in chronological order. I had fun with the individual display boxes done by real people from their experiences of the 1960s. Wow! We walked around Lake Merritt and then explored the new Catholic cathedral. Beautiful and unique in its design. Stopped for a late lunch along the lake.
Legion of Honor - Free day is the first Tuesday of the month (today). First we had breakfast at the Cliff House - with their famous popovers. Walking through the galleries, I was struck by the details in the backgrounds of paintings. Perhaps I am just more aware of looking at the fine details due to my art class. Some paintings just drew you into the scene with the bright colors, or by the eyes of the subject. I gained a new sense of historical significant and perspective with walking through the galleries. Next we drove down the coast enjoying a sunny day, clear skies, and a deep blue ocean.
Safaris are for exploring, relaxing, enjoying, and feeding the soul.

No comments:
Post a Comment