Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The journey from PARC to now...





- John T. Spencer


In July 2006, I experienced and participated in a significant milestone in my learning journey.  I spent a week with four other educators at PARC - the Palo Alto Research Center as part of Xerox/ACSA internship interacting with social scientists, engineers, gaming experts, and mathematicians.

At the time, I didn't own a laptop computer.  I didn't know about Second Life, powerpoint or even google.  My technology circle included using the desktop computer for emails and writing with a few researches thrown in for good measure.  Well...that changed!

As I look back, I say to myself..."you've come along way since then."

My week at PARC broadened my view of the world.  After spending a week in a truly collaborative environment - white boards all over the walls, soft chairs in circles, open rooms where ideas where exchanged and challenged freely - talking about how education needed to be changed - I came back as a different person...ready to take a risk.



Perhaps one of the ingredients in our life-long journey is "Risk Taking".
What do we have to lose?







No comments:

Post a Comment