Monday, July 30, 2012

Run a Marathon?

If you know me well, you know that I am goal oriented and I don't like to run.

If you know those two things, and you just happen to be my husband, what would possess you (husband) to suggest to me that we run the Walnut Creek 1/2 Marathon?  Are you crazy?

Well...he announced to the family that we were running a 1/2 marathon.  Please keep in mind that our sons ran cross country with two of them on teams that went to State.  I've watched lots of 3 mile races up and down hills.  Fun to watch.  I am a great spectator.  I am not a runner.

One of my goals for my life in transition has been to walk every day.  It also aligns with wanting to lose weight and eat healthier.  Starting in July, I made an effort and then about the second week of July, I made a commitment to walk or go to the gym every day.  So far I have been successful.  Yeah!

Running a 1/2 Marathon just seemed to be out of reach for me right now.  But walking in a 5K is a reasonable goal. So yesterday we registered for the Walnut Creek 5K in December.  Now I do have a clear goal - I am committed to participating in a 5K.

The interesting result of walking daily or going to the gym is that each day it is easier.  And...the scale does go down.  I am feeling more positive.  And perhaps, a 5K is not beyond my reach.  Yes, I can, Yes, I can.


I, Melissa Strongman, will complete a 5K in the Walnut Creek 5K on Saturday, December 8 with a time completion of less than 44 minutes based on my one and only 5K of 44 minutes in 2009 at the Pleasant Hill Firecracker Run.  


Setting SMART goals is easy...fulfilling them is a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment