Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Summer....
At one time in my life, summer included June, July, and August. And then the school calendar started creeping up into August and down into June. By the time I was serving as an administrator, summer was just 6 short weeks mostly in July. Summer went too fast.
As a girl growing up in Santa Maria, my summer days were filled with going to the beach at Avila Beach, playing with friends in the vacant lot, reading books in the library's summer reading program. I was free to explore and do. Some of my activities included participation in musical productions and always, piano lessons. My memory of summer was carefree, relaxing, being with friends, having fun, and exploring.
This summer is different for me. I completed a phase of my life June 30 and as of today, I have no definite starting date for the next phase. Because I am so goal oriented, in April in anticipation of summer freedom, I signed up for an art class, volunteered to organize a major event at church, and joined a volunteer project for the city. Then I created my "bucket list" which included items like: walking, reading books, work out at the gym, connecting with friends, work through boxes of family photos, and sew. So far I haven't had time to deal with the boxes or pull out the quilting project. Oh well....summer isn't over yet.
Summer has brought a change in routine, new friends, time to read and write, and time with family. I really enjoyed being able to take a long walk with my husband in the morning. I didn't need to go anywhere or be committed to something/someone. Time on the trail...time to talk and listen...it is a gift of summer.
My memory of this summer...a gift of time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment