Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Viewing Life as Doing Laundry


Laundry.  Does it ever go away?  Is the laundry basket ever empty?  How much laundry can be produced by a family of five in just one day?

I've done my share of laundry in my years - dorm life, single, marriage, raising three sons.  Knowing how to do laundry is a life skill because having clean clothes is important.

When I go into the garage to sort the laundry, I have time to myself.  Time to think.  Time to ponder.  I sometimes have the most interesting conversations with myself upon the most unusual connections in my life.

I have come to realize that life is a bit like doing laundry.  You have to separate the darks from the lights.  The purple team uniform - cross country, wrestling, track - must be done separately in cold water on delicate.  Don't put your best looking top with the muddy clothes from camping.  Each piece of clothing has different needs and requires different levels of care.

There are times when I have been tempted just to throw all in together.  It would be so simple.

But then I've had my disasters too.  No matter how hard I try, a purple sock finds its way into a load of whites.  These things happen.  You say "oh well" and enjoy purple-tinted underwear.

Life is like that as well.  You try to separate and take care of each part of your life.  You keep sorting and hope for the best.  Then there are the disasters which shape and change your life.  You learn from it and move forward.  After all wearing a pair of purple-tinted underwear isn't so bad - just don't tell anyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment