Tuesday, April 2, 2013
A Bench for Contemplation
This is my bench. Please notice that I wrote my bench. In my mind, this bench belongs to me especially after I have walked from my home along the Iron Horse and Canal Trail through Poet's Corner to this bench. A round trip is 6.22 miles so to this bench, it is 3.11 miles.
By the way, I am quite annoyed when someone is sitting on my bench. Somehow it does not feel right to sit down next to a complete stranger on my bench. And the next bench up the trail is many steps away. I will retrace my steps to another bench just down the small incline to sit.
The view from this bench isn't grand such as overlooking San Francisco Bay or a beach or mountains. I like the view from this bench because it represents my hometown. I can actually say that I have spent more years here in Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill area than where I was born and raised.
The view includes the canal with water in it, a grassy slope, wildflowers depending on the season, an old orchard with trees that are tired-looking, the tops of houses, small hills with the sun dancing on the grass. The view is calming and provides an anchor in my life.
As part of my weekly therapy, walking is a key. Walking puts me outside in the fresh air. When I talk, I either talk to myself, talk with my husband, or just let my mind wander. Thinking, talking, reflecting, questioning is so important when one is wrestling with the next right step.
"What are you feeling?" "What do I want to do....?" What should I be doing?" "What about...."?
My bench is a place to sit in quiet. I sit in silence - hearing birds sing, the grass sway and sometimes in the distance a train whistle.
My bench is place for contemplation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment