"Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift,
which is why we call it the present."
- Bil Keane
Why is it so hard to live in today's moment?
Today has so many positives in it.
It is Spring - the flowers and trees are blooming, the daylight is longer, the days are warmer.
This is Holy Week - Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday....leading up to Easter - a celebration of life.
I have a nice place to live, food to eat, family that loves me, great walking path to a beautiful park, books to read, and the ability to connect with friends and family. I have projects that I am engaged in that bring joy.
And yet, I can so easily dwell on the past - especially on the "what could have- should have" of the yesterdays. Why? Because it is too easy to go to the negatives. True. But also because we always want to try to change the past...and we can't. The past is the past. Can't change it. Can't go back and redo it. Yesterday is history. I can learn from the many yesterdays to move forward.
Tomorrow brings a day of mystery. I get a re-do - a chance to restart again. And I have no idea as to what will be unfolded in the next day. Well I do...it is what I bring to the mystery day. I plan on bringing my positive, can-do attitude along with gratitude for what the day brings to me.
For today, I will live in the present because the present itself blesses me.

No comments:
Post a Comment