Do you remember where you were in July 1969 when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon?
I do. I was in going into 8th grade at Fesler Junior High School in Santa Maria, California. I was a nerdy looking junior higher with four eyes, short hair, and pimples. We were at my brother's house for a family BBQ. Family BBQ meant Santa Maria style BBQ - tri tip cooked on seasoned oak wood, pinto beans, salad, salsa, french bread dripping with garlic butter and hand-cranked ice cream.
I was fascinated with the study of space. Every time a missile was shot off at Vandenberg AFB, when the weather conditions were good, you could look up into the sky and see the bright speck of light go up and up and up. We would stand and watch. My inside voice saying "up, up, up". Then it would disappear. It was our entertainment!
I was so excited to watch the moon landing and walk. I eagerly followed and watched the space program for many years. When I was teaching 5th grade, I prepared my class of 34 5th graders to watch the launch of the first teacher into space. And then I faced helping all of us deal with our emotions as we watched Challenger explode.
I do believe that for my generation - this historic day when man walked on the moon will always be a day of special remembrance. Thank you Mr. Armstrong!
“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” Neil Armstrong
No comments:
Post a Comment