Friday, September 14, 2012

Conversation includes not saying the wrong words


"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place 
but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."  

Lady Dorothy Nevill, British writer (1926 - 1913)


Conversations are a particular interest of mine.  I have been researching the topic it seems forever and occasionally, my interests take me to adding new ideas.  I came across this quote by Lady Dorothy Nevill.  She was an English writer, social hostess, horticulturist, and plant collector in the time of Queen Victoria.  

It struck me how a good conversation can quickly go the wrong direction by the wrong choice of words.  And there is nothing you can do to turn it around.  The damage has been done.

I am thinking about conversations that I have had recently.  Have I truly listened to the person?  Or have I been thinking of what I am going to say next and not listened?  Have I chosen my words carefully?  Or have I simply listened without saying a word?

I am learning that often the best conversation are when I just listen and not say a word.  The talker often knows what the response should be - and just doesn't need to be reminded of the answer or response.  We just want to be listened to - to be heard - and to be affirmed that there is someone listening.

So...I do hope that I will apply the lesson here simply listening without any words.  My nod and a smile indicate that yes, I am here my friend, listening to your words.


















No comments:

Post a Comment